Monday, May 20, 2019

"Alexa- Find my Zen."

"Alexa- Find my Zen." Oh how I wish it was that easy....


After my moments of meditation on my dock, I immediately felt different. Although I was not able to find my complete zen from sitting on the worn out wood over the pond, I felt an additional sense of peace that I usually don’t have at 7:30 PM on weeknights. I returned to my noisy, chaotic home and instantly could only hear the laughter from my boys. It made me smile because my first reaction was to not come in the house and feel overwhelmed by the mess on the floor, or see the dishes on the table. Those few minutes alone provided me with some lingering minutes of peace and calm that I otherwise wouldn’t have felt had I not taken the time to pause.

I have only meditated about five times since the assignment was given. It is hard to say that it has significantly improved any social relationship, and I know that I am no where near being able to control my easily distracted brain. Yet the past week has given me the insight into what I can do when I feel overwhelmed. Even if it is just taking a break in my car for a few minutes before going into my house at night. We are so used to always being on the go, cramming as much as we can into our lives and our schedules, that we don’t automatically give ourselves the space to decompress the weight that comes with all of that. My nights seemed slightly easier after having those few minutes to decompress and calm myself. It also made the dinner mess a lot easier to look at and ignore while I played on the floor with my children.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hot Mess Mamma and Meditator.

Two of my biggest struggles are anxiety and stress. I had long heard of mediation being a great approach to combat these struggles and there...